Wednesday, January 2, 2013

fog

 

Each morning, God and I hang out as I drink my coffee.  This morning we pondered the fog.  Well, I pondered the fog.  He doesn't have too.  I reflected on the times I have driven through fog so thick that I literally couldn't recognize where I was.  All I could see was fog, fog and more fog.  Perhaps He set me up by bringing up the topic. 

Anyway, I pondered my life and thought how fog-like it can become.  I'm driving along, minding my own business, when this haze begins to cascade from nowhere.  It's beautiful and amazing as it seems to dance around me.  The haze turns into a shroud, becoming a bit of a nuisance.  Before long the shroud is so encompassing that I can see nothing but what is immediately before me.  That would be my own hand.  This is so not a comfort place.  I'm trapped.  I can recall the road traveled but have no idea what lies ahead.  It would accomplish nothing to turn around as the fog is just a s thick in the opposite direction.  What do I do?

1 Corinthians 13 beginning with verse 8 reads, "Love never fails,  But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.  For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.  When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.  When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me.  Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face.  Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

As I ponder this passage I am cognizant that Paul is speaking of love.  But I am mindful that God is love.  May I be so bold as to add my own paraphrase and state that God never fails?                                                                                            If we see but a poor reflection and we only know in part we have to return to the premise.  The premise is that God never fails.  If what we can see in the mirror is but a poor reflection, detail is indefinable and obscure.  No matter how relentless, we cannot define it.                                                                                                        So what was Paul's solution?  It was that he put his childish ways behind him.  Ouch.                                                                                                                             So we embrace, even cling to Deuteronomy 31:8 which states "The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."  We begin to discern that God breathes in this present moment.  Bottom line-that is all that matters and it is enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Still

My journey has landed me in a place of ambiguity. Where I once felt God was black and white and easily deciphered-I have learned the...