Friday, January 11, 2013

letting go

 
I take immense pleasure in rock wall climbing though there wasn't a natural attraction.  I enjoy having both feet on the ground, thank you very much. It took some time for me to trust that the harness and bungee cable would sustain me if I were to suddenly plunge earthward.  Rising above my fear, the subsequent challenge, exhilaration and the sense of accomplishment in reaching the pinnacle of the wall was unprecedented.  Then came the issue of releasing the wall and careening toward the ground, trusting that the harness and cord would sustain me.  It was mandatory that I let go.  Ahh!
Rock wall climbing parallels significant life lessons as we walk with Jesus.  Though ascending life's mountains can cause great terror and trepidation, we learn to lean on certain hand and foot holds along the path.  At times the space between foot holds become increasingly expansive.  Each ridge becomes progressively minute in size.  At times we are forced to perch on precipices that refuse to support us.  It becomes mandatory that we let go.
We are quick to forget that we are firmly in His harness.  He does not let go.  Isaiah 43:1 reads,
But now, this is what the LORD says-he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you. O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.  When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.  When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze."
By the way, I did release the wall.  I bounced off it's side a few times but landed with my feet firmly planted on solid ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Still

My journey has landed me in a place of ambiguity. Where I once felt God was black and white and easily deciphered-I have learned the...